Friday, May 28, 2010

Summer's here, and it's only MAY!!!

The weather has been incredible. Vegetables are already sprouting in the garden, the kiddie pool's already been well used. I've just finished mowing the lawn; it's incredible how hard it is to get it all (reminder: it's ALL on a hill). I'm pooped. So, to rest up before I head over & put a second coat of paint on a wall in the living room, I thought I'd post a few pictures. Today's my day off for the week, and C. is in daycare, so I've got a good chunk of time to get some stuff done!

It was so hot over the May long weekend...the best ever that any of us can remember. On Monday we brought dinner over to a friend's; they have a pool at their farm which we really enjoyed. We also enjoyed the sprinkler. I thought Cadence had never been through one (I'm too uptight with water usage to indulge in a sprinkler). But he knew all about them from daycare.


That morning, we had gotten the kiddie pool out (for the first time, because of previously mentioned uptightness re. water usage). I justified it in two ways: 1. saves on bath water later in the day/another day, and 2. saves my having to use the hose for garden watering during this heat wave. Cadence did have one bath in the pool outside the next day, but now it's full of dirt & grass so he kind of needs a bath after playing in it.

Here is Drew working to strip paint off an old chair (make you think of anyone?) while naked Cadence watches (he was waiting for the pool to warm up; water straight out of the hose was ridiculously cold.)


Last Saturday, Cadence got to go to a friend's birthday party, at McDonald's. It was his first time there and Drew was good enough to go with him so I could, well, avoid going to McDonald's, and also so I could get the vegetable garden planted. This is the first year that I planted it without Cadence's help, and I'm pretty excited to have some straight rows, properly spaced seeds, etc. Our McDonald's seems to have a big slide/tunnel thing inside, as well as a bunch of video games.




We borrowed Gramma & Grampa's telescope to try and do some stargazing. Drew & Cadence tried to set it up the other day, but got stuck. We still haven't figured it out...

Tofu & Jake: wanna go for a walk?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the yard! Nice mowed lawn. Ahhhh, memories of McDonalds and I see Grimace there on the wall......Cadence is definitely growing fast!
Great pics as usual. Thanks!
Love Tracey

Sharilynn said...

We got quite familiar with McDonald's in France, believe it or not. We had a really nice one near us that was literally the only place we could eat before noon, and was deserted and perfect for a rainy playdate on Tuesday mornings. Having said that, there were no video games and we haven't been tempted by it since being back. I can't believe how MUCH is open here all the time. Was it always like this ? ;) Anyhow, I'm sure Cadence had a great time and I LOVE the photos, thanks for posting!!