Saturday, October 13, 2007

Happy Tofurkey Day!

We had a great family-focused Thanksgiving weekend--quiet and rainy but nice.

On a more up-to-date note, I've reached yet another milestone on the "return to normal" journey. Yesterday I not only picked up & got through a big chunk of the Saturday Globe, but I also rented my first movie! Even got through about 2/3 of it. Feels great. Now back to the latest holiday...

It had been a big week at work for me, coordinating a big agency all-day planning workshop. To celebrate having survived the whole thing we went to our favourite truck stop for dinner on Friday. Cadence had pasta.


One of the best things about Gillies Truck Stop is the ceiling fans and the airplanes hanging from the ceiling (see background)


Last Saturday we went for a walk in the trails up behind the house. It's neat that we're now getting a second generation of exeperiences here (see very similar pic early on in the blog).


On Sunday morning (or Monday?) Cadence and I pulled out the finger paints. I think it was initially confusing to be in his high chair but told again & again not to eat the paint. My fault. He got the point but seemed more interested in tearing the paper up than playing with the paint. Oh well. Good activity for a rainy day: a) passes some time, whether you end up with finished artwork or not; and b) gives mom a chance to sit & sip at coffee while child is entertained in single location.


After nap, and before dinner, we went out to the Hilliardton Marsh for a long walk. This is a manufactured wetland in partnership between Ducks Unlimited & the MNR. Really it's so people can have a place to go shoot ducks, but oh well. It's the largest of its kind in North America, which is neat.




Helping in the kitchen. We had a tofurkey with stuffing, dumplings, gravy, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce. Plus I made my first ever pumpkin pie, which I was quite pleased with (especially since I really am not fond of pumpkin pie). Thanks Doreen for a great recipe! (I'm actually finishing off the last piece as I write this). The best part of the tofurkey is that it only takes, like 90 mins to cook--so an afternoon hike is completely reasonable. Nice.

2 comments:

Sharilynn said...

Amanda, I need to know! Will Cadence actually wear his mittens? I guess he's going to have to eventually. I noticed he's got them strung and ready to go already. Sounds like a nice Thanksgiving - good to hear you're getting back some more "you" time too.

Thanks for the comments on Jordan's Journal too. Makes me happy that you're checking! Keep on posting - it's so good to see you all!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Now that Cadence is walking he seems to have aged a year or two! He looks older! Soon, you guys will look older too.... you'll see what I mean..... Hey who's taking that picture of the three of you on the trails up behind your house? I have to assume it's a bear..... a beartographer??? yah, okay....
Great pics!
Love Tracey - hey didn't know you didn't like pumpkin pie....